Welcome to the Omaha Area Soap Box Derby
The Omaha Area Soap Box Derby Association is dedicated to helping children become solid community citizens through the teaching of basic construction skills, teamwork, the spirit of competition, perseverance, and family values.
Omaha was one of the original 34 cities at the first All-American Soap Box Derby in 1934. Omaha held a local race until 1966. The race was restarted by the Bellevue Optimist Club in 1979 and raced on Galvin Road (in Bellevue, NE) for 8 years before moving to it's current location at Seymour Smith Park, Omaha, NE.
Soap box derby is a racing program for girls and boys ages 7 to 21 years old.
2017 Important Dates
All events at the track (Seymour Smith Park, 72nd & Washington, NW Corner)
- Rookie Free Test Rides (Looking for new drivers)
- Every Wednesday in May 6-8 pm.
- Call 402-960-5782 for more information
- Wednesday, June 7 (Practice runs and scale check) 6-8 pm.
- Saturday, June 17 (Local mandatory inspections 10-2 pm.)
- Wednesday, June 21 (Practice runs and scale check) 6-8 pm.
- Friday, June 23 (Track set-up, practice runs, scale check) 10 am.-8 pm.
- Saturday, June 24 (Omaha Local Championships) (On site by 7 am.)
- Sunday, June 25 (Rain out date) (SuperKids) (Awards Presentation) TBA
Three divisional Champs will advance to Akron, Ohio for the 80th All-American SBD on August 22
- Wednesday, July 5 (Load championship cars for shipment to Akron)
- Wednesday, September 20 and 27 (Practice runs and scale check) 6-8 pm.
- Saturday, September 30 - Sunday, October 1 (Monster Rally)
All-American Monster Points Rally
- Must be pre-registered by September 27 ( All divisions)
- Call JVW at 402-960-5782
- Must come ready to race (Scaled, new brake pad, aligned)
- Track opens Saturday at 6:30 am.
- Must be on site and checked in by 7 am. (Ramp drops by 8:30 am.)
- Saturday (Double elimination followed by single elimination under lights)
- Halloween activities TBA
- Sunday, October 1 (Double elimination only) (Stock single consolation TBA)
- Sunday (On site by 8 am. Ramp drops at 9 am.)
- National News
- Soap Box Derby receives $15,000 grant for General Operating Support from the Helen S. Robertson Fund of Akron Community FoundationThe International Soap Box Derby has received a $1…
- Soap Box Derby is partnering with Northeast Ohio STEM Ecosystem and Cuyahoga Community College to pilot a program to engage students in designing, building and racing autonomous Soap Box Derby cars